Sunday 30 March 2014

CS topper Geetika's advice: NO shortcuts to success!

GEETIKA BHATIA hails from a small district in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan and managed to clear her Company Secretary exam with a second rank, sans coaching. As a student of Chartered Accountancy, she saw the exam as a step towards her larger goal. She opines that there is no substitute for hard work and perseverance. In her free time, she loves spending quality time with her friends and family, and her hobby  is...dancing!

FAST FACTS
Full Name: Geetika Bhatia
Date of Birth: November 6, 1989
Parent’s Name & Occupation: Rajan Bhatia - Businessman, Gayatri Bhatia - Homemaker
Schooling: Air Force School, Jaisalmer
College & Subjects: BCom at SKB College, Jaisalmer
Score in CS: 484/800
Rank: Second
Hobbies: Dancing

Course review:How to become CS

Q
. How was the news of your success broken to you?
A. I was informed about the news by my close friend, who sent me a message on my mobile phone congratulating me for the 2nd rank in CS exams. I was immensely overjoyed to hear it and then went ahead and checked the result myself.

Q.When did you decide to take up CS?
A. At present, I am pursuing my Chartered Accountancy. I intended to upgrade my profile, as I continue with my studies. It was necessary to gauge my strengths and weaknesses. So in August 2009, I decided to take the CS examinations and started preparing for it.

Q.In how many attempts were you able to achieve success?
A. I believe am immensely lucky as I managed to clear all the stages in my first attempt.

Q
.Please tell us about your life as a student? 
A. I would say student life is the golden era of a human being’s life and the most beautiful phase. I have always tried to persevere towards my goals and ambitions and taken them up with challenge. Courage and dedication are my two important weapons. I have taken up every endeavor in my student life as a battle, fought with valor and managed to win the situation.

Q. How important do you think training is to become a competent CS?
A. Like in any other sector, training is important to gain a practical experience and understand industry trends. It exposes an individual to the current industry practices, its prospects and future. It would not be possible to cater to your clients in best possible way, unless you have a hands-on training. So I believe training is a prerogative and essential to become a competent CS.

Q. How do you usually spend your time if you are not studying?
A. I have a very loving and supporting family. I love to spend my free time with them and enjoy every single moment of it. Also, I have numerous friends and its always a treat to catch up with them in my free time.

Q. How do you now intend to plan your career?
A. CS for me was only a step towards achieving my larger goal of becoming a CA. I needed to understand, where I stand with respect to my preparations. As of now, my rank in CS has given me a lot of motivation to work towards my CA completion. Once I complete my CA, I would take a call on how to pursue my career.

Q. Did you take any guidance for preparation?
A. I belong to a small district in Jaisalmer, which doesn’t really have many proper educational institutions and coaching centres. I tried to seek guidance from my seniors in college and other acquaintances, who had given CS examinations. However, major part of my preparation was my effort.
Q. How good are coaching institutes and what should one be cautious of, if you choose one?
A. I don’t know how to respond to the importance of coaching institutions. I did not take any coaching for CS examinations. I just gave in my 100% in preparation of the course and got little help from my seniors. But if I had to comment on the precautions regarding coaching institutions, I would say that don’t go by elaborate advertisements endorsing complete success. Do some research on your own, regarding the results and success rate of the various coaching institutions in your vicinity. Talk to your friends and seniors, who have attended these institutions. Then choose the institution which has shown best possible results.

Q.Your message to the future CS aspirants...
A. After having cleared the CS successfully, I can only tell my aspiring friends that there are no shortcuts to success. The only mantra is to work hard and give your 200%. The other things will fall in place on their own.

Q.Could you list the prominent study materials, books that you consulted for preparation?
A. As discussed earlier, I did not have access to any coaching institutions or much guidance. The only material which I studied was the study modules and the scanners. I guess, if these materials are studied thoroughly, they are extremely useful in clearing the examinations.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 CS Ultimates